Saturday, November 21, 2009

Tides of Change

I am so proud of my 18-year old son, Sam. He's always been the easy-going type, not a complainer, never has a bad thing to say about anyone or anything. Quiet. Good hearted. I love him more deeply than words can express.
Sam is a senior this year. Sam has a serious girlfriend this year. Sam is applying to colleges this year. Sam has already been accepted to one college this year. Sam is contemplating going to college away from home, next year.
I get a little choked up thinking about this. I am proud of him for being brave enough to want to leave home for school. I am sad to think that he won't be here, playing video games for hours. So much has changed in Sam's life this year.
I think back to when he was born prematurely when I was 26 weeks pregnant and not expecting a baby for another couple months. We would stand looking at him helplessly for the longest time, unable to touch him yet. Listening to the alarms and noises of the Riley Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. I often think these early noises are the reason Sam favors peace and quiet over the chaos that some kids his age like.
Sam has so much life ahead of him. Please God, watch over him and help him to make good choices this year and all the years ahead!

1 comment:

  1. You have every reason to be proud! He does sound like a remarkable young man w/ much on the ball. No wonder with a great Mom like you!

    ReplyDelete